Welcome to the Oregon State Council
We are an affiliate of the Society for Human Resource Management. Whether you are new to the HR field or have many years of experience, we are a local starting point for networking, information, professional development and continued support of excellence in Human Resources.
We welcome your use of this site as a resourece, and encourage you to check back frequently for updated information. We also encourage your involvement and suggestions about all of our activities, on the web and off.
We look forward to seeing you at an upcoming meeting or event!
As many of you may be aware Oregon Employer Council (OEC) and SHRM have been long time resources to each other. The Oregon Employer Council (a non-profit) received news that the support they have received for over 30 years was going to be withdrawn on June 30, 2015. We are asking you to consider getting involved with the advocacy effort to challenge the outcome of that decision.
Many of you have asked what you can be doing to help with OEC’s future. The time is now to take a few minutes to help us demonstrate that employers of all sizes in Oregon care about OEC’s future and relevance in Oregon.
Here are a few of the important services that may be lost when OED withdraws their support:
•Access to businesses by state and federal agencies including BOLI, DCBS, DHS, Oregon Employment Department, Veteran’s Affairs, tribes throughout Oregon, Indian Health Services, Department of Labor and Workforce Information.
•Low cost training to help businesses grow and stay in compliance with governing laws.
•Partnerships with the SHRM, EDC's, Local Workforce Investment boards, Chambers of Commerce and community colleges.
The OED budget to support OEC is $450,000 annually. Of this amount, 80% pays wages and benefits for 20 local coordinators and one statewide coordinator. The other 20% pays for travel, training and printing. OEC is funded 100% employer paid tax dollars through the SEDAF fund.
What OEC gave back in 2013:
•$77,000 back into our local communities in support of local OEC events
•$16,000 in veteran support, job fairs and local training scholarships
•$16,000 in scholarships for both remedial education (GED’s) and post-secondary education
•Hours of professional time at job fairs, community outreach, and support at educational seminars
We are asking for support in sending letters to county commissioners, state representatives, senators and the Governor. Those lists can be discovered at the following website: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/FindYourLegislator/leg-districts.html
Oregon SHRM members are encouraged to be actively engaged in legislative advocacy efforts, both at the state and federal levels. Additional information about how to get involved can be found on the SHRM website in the Legal Issues & Public Policy tab to HR Policy Action Center on SHRM's website at http://www.shrm.org/advocacy/publicpolicystatusreports/pending/policyactioncenter/pages/default.aspx
Want to join the SHRM Advocacy Team? Just click on the link from the SHRM Policy Action Center page to sign up.
Questions? Please contact Jill Faughender, SPHR, and Oregon State Council Legislative Affairs Director at 503.435.3216.
Upcoming EventsSee All >
September 16-17, 2014Salem Convention Center
September 29 – October 1, 2014Spokane Convention Center 334 West Spokane Falls Boulevard Spokane, WA 92201
Conference Contact: Nicole Santamaria
Visit the website for conference details: